Ride High is a registered charity (no. 1138260) based in Milton Keynes which aims to help disadvantaged children and those having difficulties in their daily lives, by giving them the opportunity to learn to ride and look after horses and ponies. There is evidence that for children who are angry, hurt, upset, lonely or underprivileged, contact with horses can have highly beneficial effects.
Children who exhibit antisocial behaviour in their daily lives often find that riding provides an absorbing new challenge which can take the place of disruptive activities and for others it builds confidence and self esteem. Alongside their weekly riding lessons each child also takes part in our structured clubroom session. Here, through structured, horse-based activities and interaction with their fellow members, they develop skills in communication and teamwork.
The children that Ride High aims to help are likely to fall into one or more of the following categories:
- children in care or foster children;
- children from deprived backgrounds;
- children who are carers for a parent or younger siblings;
- children who are bullied at school or feel disenfranchised;
- children who have been in trouble with the authorities;
- children who have been excluded from school;
- children who have suffered abuse.